The Strategic Initiative Materials ‘SIM’ is a virtual research centre, initiated in 2009 by the Flemish Materials Industry and the Flemish Universities. SIM’s mission is to further strengthen the scientific materials base and to build technology platforms in relevant areas with sufficient critical mass.
In need of documents
Please either select a type of document, or a specific document. A list of results will be given.
Three domains were identified in this theme to match the interest and specialization of material related industry and research organizations in Flanders: hybrid structural materials, high performance Multi-functional structural materials and sustainable processes.more
Energy generation, storage and use is one of the main challenges for the future of Europe, therefore also of Flanders. In the SIM framework, strategic focus is on the following topics: harvesting of energy with photovoltaics, energy conversion with fuel cells and energy storage with batteries.more
Materials and products become increasingly more complex. More different materials become available each year, resulting in endless combination possibilities for applications and functionalities. Basic knowledge, using detailed material characterization and modeling, is needed more than ever.more
Recycling is a process to change waste into new products to prevent waste of useful materials and to reduce the consumption of fresh raw materials. As products become increasingly more complex in design and functionalities, recycling becomes more difficult and the need for research increases.more
The nanotechnology revolution essentially consists of the ability to control material features on the nanometer length scale. To see the economic impact of these new abilities, the basic science of nanotechnology requires continuous development and improvement.more
- G-STIC Conferentie (23-25 Oktober in Brussel) 26/09/2017
- Oproep tot deelname aan onderzoek: schoongemaakt ferro-metaal schroot voor geoptimaliseerde valorisatie 19/09/2017
- Draft Specifications for the application of the United Nations Framework Classification for Resources to Anthropogenic Resources 29/08/2017
- Prof. Terryn to receive American corrosion award 21/08/2017
- Oproep tot deelname aan onderzoek: Nabehandeling van roestvast staal (RVS) na het lassen 25/07/2017